11.10.08

Belief

*
*
Belief

14Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city. 15For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie. (Rev 22:)

There is something inside all of us that demands we fill in the gaps. When we look at a puzzle with holes in it, we are drawn to fill in the holes. And when we are unable to fill in the holes, we write off the puzzle as not being complete, that is, all the parts are not there.

We pick up a connect-the-dots drawing and try to see what the artist had in mind. If we have difficulty understanding the artist's concept, we make our own by connecting whatever dots we like and call it an "improvement."

We study patterns on wall paper, and clouds in the sky to see what can be made of it. If nothing comes to our attention, we say there is nothing there to see.

An "expert" in a given field does not have that liberty. If an expert does not have an answer, then he is no longer an expert, and the world will leave him and go to one who will give them an answer.

An answer. If a person, that is you and I, goes to someone with answers, it is because we need, or at least desire an answer. And we do so because we do not have the answer we seek. When we are given an "expert opinion," we just naturally take the answer we now have as "fact" because there is nowhere else to go.

Or is there?

If the "expert opinion" concerns an open heart surgery, you may very well check for a second opinion, and maybe a third. But when all the opinions you receive agree, you accept their diagnoses and have the open heart surgery.

You have had the open heart surgery. It has cost you everything you own, you had to sell your house and car and all future moneys you will ever receive to pay for the surgery.

Only to discover that the "experts" who performed the surgery botched the job, and you may very likely die because of it.

Then you learn from a Natural Healer that the problem you had could have easily been treated with herbs and diet.

And even later you are informed that the second and third "experts" you received opinions from had done nothing more than refer to your first expert for his opinion!

What would be your reaction?

STEAKS AND STARVATION

In other parts of the world children rummage through garbage dumps in hopes of finding a scrap of food to keep them alive another day.

There have been times, especially during war, that people would eat their own flesh, or the bodies of the dead, or even their own children in order to stay alive.

Yet in India a man, his wife, and his children will sit right next to a cow and starve to death.

Why?

BELIEVING THE UNBELIEVABLE

In India (at least certain cultures in India) they are taught that a cow is their ancestor and must be reverenced. I am sure that someone, somewhere in India must have taken a close look at this ugly beast and wondered how this creature could possibly be related to him. But, because he was taught to believe this was his ancestor, he shrugs his shoulders and continues to nibble on his arm.

"That makes no sense," we who are not of the same belief say. "Why do people believe such ridiculous things?"

For the same reason you and I believe ridiculous things. They were taught from birth to believe, therefore, they believe.

Do they have reasons for their belief?

Of course they do. And if they hadn't been given a reason, they will have come up with one in their own mind to satisfy their belief.

Just like you or me.

There is a myriad of beliefs that we hold that we haven't given but the briefest of thought, if that, that if we should sit down and think about them, we would doubt our own credibility.

But you and I just accept what we "know" to be true because it makes life (and death) simpler that way.

Until the doctor tells you that you need open heart surgery.

OPEN HEART SURGERY

I am here to tell you that you need open heart surgery. I don't want it to frighten you, and I definitely want you to search out second and third opinions. But if you sit back and doubt what I am telling you, just because of what you now know to be true, you will die from heart failure.

This has been a burden on my heart, and I have been trying to find a way to break it to you gently, to ease you into the knowledge of your condition, but I could not find one.

You need heart surgery.

It is difficult enough to accept that which we do not want to hear from the foremost expert in any given field. But to hear the worst of news from the janitor who works out of a mop closet makes the information that much harder to accept.

FILLING IN THE GAP THEORY

"It must be true, because....."

We, that is you and me and all mankind, do not like to feel left out. We don't like the idea that there is something we don't know. We especially do not like to think there is something we don't know if it appears others might know the answer. And we surely do not like to be seen by others as having been wrong.

"Dear, I think you're going the wrong way because the map says...."
"Well, the map's wrong. I know what I'm doing!"
Or
"This is the scenic route. I know what I'm doing!"
Or
"Just sit back and be quiet. I know what I'm doing!"

Of course the more educated a person becomes, and the more a person matures, the less likely they are to justify their ignorance or feel the need to fill in the gap. Right?

Baloney!

SELLING BALONEY

Darwin did not make up the Theory of Evolution, he just popularized it.

What we hear over and over is what we believe. If everyone says Coke is better than Pepsi, we drink Coke in spite of the fact that it doesn't taste as good as Pepsi.

A famous piece of art that the artist couldn't sell even though he was starving now sells for millions.

Why?

Advertising.
"It is easier to believe a lie we hear a hundred times than the truth we hear but once."

And over and over again we hear lies jammed down our throats from every direction.

What we hear as Gospel truth on the news one day is forgotten or proven false the next.

The Theory of Evolution was considered as nothing but a silly theory - until the Monkey trial. Then it became the thing to believe. Had there not been a trial, with big name lawyers, we would certainly not be teaching it as "Fact" today in our schools.

The name O.J. Simpson would only be known to a few sports fans had it not been for a multimillion dollar, year long trial. And the lawyers and the witnesses who have become so famous by it would have passed into oblivion unknown.

The more a thing is said or taught, the more it is believed - even if it makes no sense whatever. And should you ever doubt this, talk to a starving Indian standing next to a cow.

And what makes a fantasy more believable than tagging the Name of God to it? What gains more followers and brings more fame and fortune than proclaiming a message (or the lack of it) as a messenger from God. When you feel a need to doubt this, watch TBN.

The Name of God sells. False prophets abounded in Israel, and was the fall of it.

And all through the Bible it has been prophesied that this Endtime church would abound with false prophets and false doctrines. Our time has been named THE GREAT APOSTASY.

BELIEVING THE UNBELIEVABLE

You don't believe the Bible

"What are you talking about! I believe every word in the Bible. I know and believe that every word in the Bible is the Word of God. Don't try and tell me what I believe or don't believe!"

And you are right, who am I to tell you what to believe? And I won't. But what I will tell you is that what you believe is not what the Bible says.

You believe the Bible. But you do not believe what you have been taught the Bible is saying.

You believe the Bible is the true and accurate Word of God, that He wrote the Bible in the very form that you have received it.

And that is all true.

But there are huge chunks of the Bible that do not make sense to you, that seem totally contradictory to the nature of God as you understand Him to be - yet you believe it anyway.

No, you don't. You do not believe it. You can not believe it because it is not believable. God designed His Word to be unbelievable, and He has said so over and over. But you have been trained to ignore words you do not understand, or to accept the interpretation of other humans, even though their interpretation does not make sense either.

You are neither believing the Bible or the interpretation you have of the Bible.

Instead, you accept the interpretation you hold of the Bible as true.

We get acceptance all mixed up with belief. Just like the people in India who will starve while standing next to a steak. It's not a matter of belief, but of acceptance. When we try to understand the beliefs of others without separating belief from acceptance, then we will never understand.

And never will we understand ourselves and our beliefs until we accept that we do not believe, but in fact accept.

Why do we not believe that a cow is our ancestor while an Indian does? Because we were not taught to do so. However if you or I had been born in India, and the Indian born here, what would be the difference in your beliefs?

When the Bible tells us that God sent the Israelites into Canaan to viciously kill all the men, women and children, we don't believe that. Why? Because it doesn't fit our picture of the Loving God we were taught to believe in.

When the Bible says God "hardened Pharaoh's heart" we don't believe that. What about our "Free Will?" we say. "God wouldn't do a thing like that."

When Jesus said that Satan was a murderer and a liar from the Beginning, we don't believe that. What about the beautiful Angel he was before he was kicked out of Heaven?

When the Bible says that only through great tribulation will we (Christians) enter into Heaven, we don't believe that. What about peace and safety for the Saints? What about the Rapture?

When the Bible speaks about unbelievers burning in hell for eternity, we don't believe that. What about all the fine people you know and love who are not Christians? How about all those who never heard of Jesus? How about those who died young and never had the chance to believe like we old timers have had?

The Bible is unbelievable.

The Bible says so of itself, and so did Jesus when He told His disciples that He spoke in parables to hide the Truth from those who refuse to believe.

Yet it is the unbelievers, the ones without an ear to hear the Truth who, now and during the time of Jesus, made up the doctrines we are to believe about the Bible.

And it is not the Bible we believe. It is the Doctrines we believe.

I will give you an example. Let's say you (anyone, but I will use a preacher for this example) are going to preach on Satan. Do you look in your Bible to learn all you can on Satan? Do you look in your concordance and find all the times Satan and devil and deceiver, and other such names used for him are found?

No, you don't. Because if you did, your sermon would be about a serpent, a liar, a murderer, a created being totally under the control of God.

Instead what you do is look at a commentary. There you will find a once beautiful angel, the choir leader of Heaven, a great and powerful adversary of God and Jesus.

Now you have a much better sermon that will thrill your congregation - but there is not a word of it you will find in the Bible under any of the names of Satan.

Instead you have to grab a verse here, a highly debatable portion of a chapter there, and go to a gap in prehistory that is based around one single word that could be interpreted in various ways.

Now you are preaching the acceptable understanding of the Bible. But you are as far away from Truth as Heaven is from hell.

Let's say you were to formulate a sermon about Joshua and the taking of Canaan. When you read in the Bible about the slaughter by God's people, under God's command - how do you tell your congregation that this loving God you preach can do such a thing?

Not a thing comes to my mind of any sermon or commentary I've heard that has said anything regarding this action. What can be said?

We condemn the Muslims and others who conduct a "Holy War," yet here we have God conducting just such a war. How can we reconcile God's love and forgiveness with this total destruction? Why couldn't the children be taken in and raised as Israelites? In Jonah we read where God explained that He wanted to save Nineveh for the sake of those too young to know their right hand from their left. And Abraham worked to convince God to spare Sodom for the sake of but ten people not taken to the lusts of the city. And Moses pleaded the case for the Israelites when God said He would destroy them all and start over again with him.

Yet there was no one to plead the case for the Canaanites and the Ammonites.

"They were all sinful and idolatrous," we hear. "God had to destroy them because they were all bad."

So we accept this because nothing fits in with our doctrine of a "Loving God."

But what about the babies? What sin had they committed? This slaughter puts the slaughter of the innocents by Herod to shame.

We accept what we are told by the Theologians, because nothing else makes sense.

Except the Word of God - If the Word is read by the Holy Spirit and not our carnal minds.

We believe what we want to believe. We hear what we want to hear. This we know, and for the most part accept. But it's other people who hear what they want to hear and believe what they want to believe - not us.

Until we get beyond the point of believing that somehow we are not influenced by others, and that our opinion is the correct one, we will never be led to the Truth. Jesus made this clear in many ways. One well known example is when He said that unless we become as a little child we will not be able to enter the kingdom of Heaven. One reason for this is that unless we learn to trust the Word of God as He wrote it, and not the doctrines of men, we will never see the road to Heaven.

KINDERGARDEN CREDENTIALS

Before I was "Given" the understanding of the Word (an ongoing experience in its infancy), I did just as everyone else does. I read the Bible. I studied the Bible, and I learned what others had to say about the Bible by books, commentaries and sermons.

When I read a passage of Scripture that I didn't understand, like those mentioned above, I just shrugged my shoulders and read on. Then each time those passages came before me, I treated them like the genealogies and just skimmed them or passed over them all together.

When a particular subject caught my attention I would look through a concordance and a topical Bible and search out other references on that subject.

If I was still confused, which I usually was, I would grab one of my commentaries and look to see what the "Experts," the one who knew these things, had to say. What I read might not make particular sense to me, but I just figured that it was my lack of knowledge that kept me from understanding. I knew this person, along with all others educated in the field of Theology were given such understanding, and were all in agreement. And so now I must have the "truth," even though I didn't understand that truth like this commentator or that preacher. I read that 1+1 equals 3, so I just shrug my shoulders and say; "Oh," and move on.

Then when someone should ask me about that subject, I would tell them that 1+1 equals 3, at which they would shrug their shoulders and leave saying; "Oh."

One plus one equals three. I had no doubt of this, though I didn't understand it. But I was told by one who should know, so therefore I was sure of my "facts."

I firmly believed that one plus one equals three.

Then one day I read another commentator, another highly educated person in the field of Theology who says that 1+1 equals 5. Now I'm confused. If both of these pipelines to God are in disagreement, which am I supposed to believe? I certainly didn't have the Truth, and now I was beginning to wonder if they had the Truth. But they had to have the Truth, because if they didn't who did?

So I go to another commentator, another Theologian who is acclaimed to have the Truth. This expert says that 1+1 equals 7.

Now this is getting ridicules. I now wonder if any body has the Truth. But worse than that, since it is through these experts, the Theologians and the preachers that I am supposed to learn the Truth, I begin to believe that maybe there is no Truth, and if there is no truth, then neither is the Bible True.

I can't accept that. After all, how can I be a Christian and not believe the Bible? And if I am not a Christian, then who am I?

So I believe the Bible. But not really - I accept the Bible.

One day recently I was "Touched" by God. Not with a finger, but with a sledgehammer. (I won't go into details here, I've done it often enough elsewhere.) The first thing He did was give me a gimps of His view and His purposes. I didn't see visions, I wasn't taken into Heaven, it was just a split second and suddenly I understood what the Bible, God's purpose for mankind, and His creation was about. By no means did I get a full revelation. It unfolds to me day by day as I write. But it was enough to make the Bible totally believable and meld it into a cohesive unit without holes or disconnected dots utilizing gaps and crowbars.

"How is anyone going to believe any of this?" I cried. "I mean, I'm glad you showed me. But why me? I don't have any influence. Whey don't you show these famous preachers who have big congregations and are on radio and TV?"

Preachers have a hard row to hoe. Preachers, unlike the rest of us, have to preach what they are taught to teach, and whatever they are expected to preach by whatever denomination they are in. If they veer slightly to the left, or to the right, or even straight up to Heaven they will not be allowed to preach in that denomination.

They are under the dominion of the church they belong to, and not to the God they preach.

I'm not putting down preachers, or even Theologians - I'm just stating a fact, a fact that everyone knows.

Should a preacher (or any church member) come across a passage or Scripture that conflicts with the doctrine they preach, they must ignore it for fear that it might lead to doubts of that which they now believe. Belief with doubt is not belief.

The path of Doctrine is a narrow path, like Jesus told us we must follow, but it is not the right path.

FINDING TRUTH

Accepting the probability that you, or anyone, has most likely discounted all I have said, and in fact consider it gobbledegook, I will proceed with the search for Truth.

To find Truth, two things must be done. And neither is in the nature of man, and is completely contradictory to our nature.

It has been said that we should get all the education we can, then get over it. And this is true.

Education is the process of pouring information, right or wrong, into minds that are young and impressionable. It is the process that is used to create religions, cultures (such as the Indians with cows), and discriminations.

It is the reasons the Canaanites and the Sodomites had all become the same wicked people they had become.

It is the same process that created a nation of righteous people in the wilderness, who were totally different than their rebellious parents who came out of Egypt.

It is the same process this nation is using to create a generation of self absorbed youth who do not believe in the God of their parents or the founding fathers of this nation.

And it is the same process used by the church whereby Jesus' prediction of an apostate church would arise.

The Canaanites believed they were right.

The Indians believe they are right.

And this apostate church thinks it is right. And if the church is not apostate, then either this is not the Endtimes, or else Jesus' prediction is wrong.

I know; it's everyone else's church that is the apostate one, not yours. Well, that we will see at Judgment. They are all apostate.

The second thing that must be done to understand the Scriptures is similar to the first, and is the same thing Jesus told the preachers and Theologians of His day (the Sadducees, Pharisees and Priests). They must assume they know nothing, empty their belief system of all they hold on to as true, and allow the Holy Sprit to instruct them in the way of Truth.

We must forget what interpreters have to say about the Scriptures and allow the Author of the Scriptures to teach us.

And the Holy Spirit can not (or at least will not) teach us until we are able to surrender all preconceived ideas, agendas and goals.

I know this is a hard thing to hear, so it is much easier to ignore than to follow. That is why I expect no one to listen to anything I have to say. It's easier to stop at the beginning and say there is no road ahead, than to follow the road and find it takes you away from the destination you have set for yourself.

My job, that is my mission as it has been set before me, is to tell you of your heart problem, and to let you know who the real Surgeon is, the one you can trust. It is not my job to perform the surgery, or convince you, or to sell you on God's plan.

But I can hope!


References

4Neither give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which minister questions, rather than godly edifying which is in faith: so do. (1Tim 1:)

19Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath showed it unto them. 20For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse: 21Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened. 22Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools, (Rom 1:)

1I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom; 2Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine. 3For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; 4And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables. (2Tim 4:)

7But refuse profane and old wives' fables, and exercise thyself rather unto godliness. (1Tim 4:)

9Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers. 10For there are many unruly and vain talkers and deceivers, specially they of the circumcision: 11Whose mouths must be stopped, who subvert whole houses, teaching things which they ought not, for filthy lucre's sake. 12One of themselves, even a prophet of their own, said, The Cretians are alway liars, evil beasts, slow bellies. 13This witness is true. Wherefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith; 14Not giving heed to Jewish fables, and commandments of men, that turn from the truth. 15Unto the pure all things are pure: but unto them that are defiled and unbelieving is nothing pure; but even their mind and conscience is defiled. 16They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate. (Titus 1:)

16For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty. (2Pet 1:)

1Then came to Jesus scribes and Pharisees, which were of Jerusalem, saying, 2Why do thy disciples transgress the tradition of the elders? for they wash not their hands when they eat bread. 3But he answered and said unto them, Why do ye also transgress the commandment of God by your tradition? 4For God commanded, saying, Honour thy father and mother: and, He that curseth father or mother, let him die the death. 5But ye say, Whosoever shall say to his father or his mother, It is a gift, by whatsoever thou mightest be profited by me; 6And honour not his father or his mother, he shall be free. Thus have ye made the commandment of God of none effect by your tradition. 7Ye hypocrites, well did Esaias prophesy of you, saying, 8This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me. 9But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men. (Mat 15:)

7Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men. 8For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do. 9And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition. (Mark 7:)

8Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ. (Col 2:)

6Now we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye withdraw yourselves from every brother that walketh disorderly, and not after the tradition which he received of us. (2Thes 3:)

17Charge them that are rich in this world, that they be not highminded, nor trust in uncertain riches, but in the living God, who giveth us richly all things to enjoy; 18That they do good, that they be rich in good works, ready to distribute, willing to communicate; 19Laying up in store for themselves a good foundation against the time to come, that they may lay hold on eternal life. 20O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called: 21Which some professing have erred concerning the faith. Grace be with thee. (1Tim 6:)

14Of these things put them in remembrance, charging them before the Lord that they strive not about words to no profit, but to the subverting of the hearers. 15Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. 16But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness. 17And their word will eat as doth a canker: (2Tim 2:)

6But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away. 7And there is none that calleth upon thy name, that stirreth up himself to take hold of thee: for thou hast hid thy face from us, and hast consumed us, because of our iniquities. 8But now, O LORD, thou art our father; we are the clay, and thou our potter; and we all are the work of thy hand. 9Be not wroth very sore, O LORD, neither remember iniquity for ever: behold, see, we beseech thee, we are all thy people. (Isaiah 64:)

13But the word of the LORD was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little; that they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken. (Isa 28:13)

4I also will choose their delusions, and will bring their fears upon them; because when I called, none did answer; when I spake, they did not hear: but they did evil before mine eyes, and chose that in which I delighted not. (Isa 66:4)

9Who hath ears to hear, let him hear. 10And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables? 11He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given. 12For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath. 13Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand. 14And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive: 15For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them. (Mat 13:4-15)

8Vanity of vanities, saith the preacher; all is vanity. 9And moreover, because the preacher was wise, he still taught the people knowledge; yea, he gave good heed, and sought out, and set in order many proverbs. 10The preacher sought to find out acceptable words: and that which was written was upright, even words of truth. 11The words of the wise are as goads, and as nails fastened by the masters of assemblies, which are given from one shepherd. 12And further, by these, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh.
13Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man. 14For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil. (Eccl 12:)

25After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me. 26For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do show the Lord's death till he come. 27Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. 28But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup. 29For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body. 30For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep. 31For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged. 32But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world. (1Cor 11:28)

5Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates? 6But I trust that ye shall know that we are not reprobates. (2Cor 13:5)

1Judge me, O LORD; for I have walked in mine integrity: I have trusted also in the LORD; therefore I shall not slide.
2Examine me, O LORD, and prove me; try my reins and my heart. (Psalm 26:2)

3If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness; 4He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings, 5Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself. 1Tim 6:)

14Do all things without murmurings and disputings: 15That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world; (Phil 2:)

1Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations. (Rom 14:)

33For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints. (1Cor 14:)

19Do they provoke me to anger? saith the LORD: do they not provoke themselves to the confusion of their own faces? 20Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, mine anger and my fury shall be poured out upon this place, upon man, and upon beast, and upon the trees of the field, and upon the fruit of the ground; and it shall burn, and shall not be quenched. (Jer 7:)

1In thee, O LORD, do I put my trust: let me never be put to confusion.
2Deliver me in thy righteousness, and cause me to escape: incline thine ear unto me, and save me.
3Be thou my strong habitation, whereunto I may continually resort: thou hast given commandment to save me; for thou art my rock and my fortress. (Psalm 71:)

1Hear, ye children, the instruction of a father, and attend to know understanding. 2For I give you good doctrine, forsake ye not my law. (Prov 4:2)

7But they also have erred through wine, and through strong drink are out of the way; the priest and the prophet have erred through strong drink, they are swallowed up of wine, they are out of the way through strong drink; they err in vision, they stumble in judgment. 8For all tables are full of vomit and filthiness, so that there is no place clean. 9Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand doctrine? them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breasts. 10For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little: 11For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people. 12To whom he said, This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear. 13But the word of the LORD was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little; that they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken. (Isa 28:)

1Hear ye the word which the LORD speaketh unto you, O house of Israel: 2Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them. 3For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe. 4They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not. 5They are upright as the palm tree, but speak not: they must needs be borne, because they cannot go. Be not afraid of them; for they cannot do evil, neither also is it in them to do good. 6Forasmuch as there is none like unto thee, O LORD; thou art great, and thy name is great in might. 7Who would not fear thee, O King of nations? for to thee doth it appertain: forasmuch as among all the wise men of the nations, and in all their kingdoms, there is none like unto thee. 8But they are altogether brutish and foolish: the stock is a doctrine of vanities. (Jer 10:)

24Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock: 25And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock. 26And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand: 27And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it. 28And it came to pass, when Jesus had ended these sayings, the people were astonished at his doctrine: 29For he taught them as one having authority, and not as the scribes. (Mat 7:)

11How is it that ye do not understand that I spake it not to you concerning bread, that ye should beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees? 12Then understood they how that he bade them not beware of the leaven of bread, but of the doctrine of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees. (Mat 16:)

2And he taught them many things by parables, and said unto them in his doctrine, (Mark 4:)

16Jesus answered them, and said, My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me. 17If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself. 18He that speaketh of himself seeketh his own glory: but he that seeketh his glory that sent him, the same is true, and no unrighteousness is in him. (John 7:)

22Which all are to perish with the using;) after the commandments and doctrines of men? 23Which things have indeed a show of wisdom in will worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body; not in any honour to the satisfying of the flesh. Col 2:)

8Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever. 9Be not carried about with divers and strange doctrines. (Heb 13:)

1Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God, (Heb 6:)

7For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist. 8Look to yourselves, that we lose not those things which we have wrought, but that we receive a full reward. 9Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son. 10If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed: 11For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds. (2John )

7In all things showing thyself a pattern of good works: in doctrine showing uncorruptness, gravity, sincerity, 8Sound speech, that cannot be condemned; that he that is of the contrary part may be ashamed, having no evil thing to say of you. (Titus 2:)

14That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive; (Eph 4:)

20Notwithstanding I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest that woman Jezebel, which calleth herself a prophetess, to teach and to seduce my servants to commit fornication, and to eat things sacrificed unto idols. 21And I gave her space to repent of her fornication; and she repented not. 22Behold, I will cast her into a bed, and them that commit adultery with her into great tribulation, except they repent of their deeds. 23And I will kill her children with death; and all the churches shall know that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works. 24But unto you I say, and unto the rest in Thyatira, as many as have not this doctrine, and which have not known the depths of Satan, as they speak; I will put upon you none other burden. 25But that which ye have already hold fast till I come. 26And he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations: (Rev 2:)

13I know thy works, and where thou dwellest, even where Satan's seat is: and thou holdest fast my name, and hast not denied my faith, even in those days wherein Antipas was my faithful martyr, who was slain among you, where Satan dwelleth. 14But I have a few things against thee, because thou hast there them that hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balac to cast a stumblingblock before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication. 15So hast thou also them that hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitanes, which thing I hate (Rev 2:)

1Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; 2Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron; (1Tim 4:)

6If thou put the brethren in remembrance of these things, thou shalt be a good minister of Jesus Christ, nourished up in the words of faith and of good doctrine, whereunto thou hast attained. 7But refuse profane and old wives' fables, and exercise thyself rather unto godliness. (1Tim 4:)

5Now the end of the commandment is charity out of a pure heart, and of a good conscience, and of faith unfeigned: 6From which some having swerved have turned aside unto vain jangling; 7Desiring to be teachers of the law; understanding neither what they say, nor whereof they affirm. (1Tim 1:)

13Till I come, give attendance to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine. 14Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery. 15Meditate upon these things; give thyself wholly to them; that thy profiting may appear to all. 16Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee. (1Tim 4:)

17Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine. (1Tim 5:)

5Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. (John 3:6)

23But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. 24God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth. (John 4:23-24)

63It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life. 64But there are some of you that believe not. (John 6:63-64)

15If ye love me, keep my commandments. 16And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; 17Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you. 18I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you. 19Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also. 20At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you. 21He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him. (John 14:15-21)

23Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him. 24He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me. 25These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you. 26But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. 27Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. (John 14:23-27)

26But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me: 27And ye also shall bear witness, because ye have been with me from the beginning. (John 15:26-27)

11Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged. 12I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now. 13Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will show you things to come. 14He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall show it unto you. 15All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall show it unto you. (John 16:11-15)

13If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him? (Luke 11:13)

9I John, who also am your brother, and companion in tribulation, and in the kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was in the isle that is called Patmos, for the word of God, and for the testimony of Jesus Christ. 10I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet, 11Saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and, What thou seest, write in a book, (Rev 1:9-11)

1After this I looked, and, behold, a door was opened in heaven: and the first voice which I heard was as it were of a trumpet talking with me; which said, Come up hither, and I will show thee things which must be hereafter. 2And immediately I was in the spirit: and, behold, a throne was set in heaven, and one sat on the throne.(Rev 4:1-2)

1Wherefore laying aside all malice, and all guile, and hypocrisies, and envies, and all evil speakings, 2As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby: 3If so be ye have tasted that the Lord is gracious. 4To whom coming, as unto a living stone, disallowed indeed of men, but chosen of God, and precious, 5Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ. (1Pet 2:1-5)

14And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness. 15And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful. 16Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. (Col 3:14-16)

6Howbeit we speak wisdom among them that are perfect: yet not the wisdom of this world, nor of the princes of this world, that come to nought: 7But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory: 8Which none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory. 9But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him. 10But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God. 11For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God. 12Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God. 13Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual. 14But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. 15But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man. 16For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ. (1Cor 2:6-16)

1And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ. 2I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able. 3For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men? 4For while one saith, I am of Paul; and another, I am of Apollos; are ye not carnal? (1Cor 3:1-4)

1There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. 2For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death. 3For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: 4That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. 5For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit. 6For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. 7Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. 8So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God. 9But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. (Rom 8:1-7)

*